Manager, Desktop Engineering - Windows at Putnam
Manage a three-person team responsible for Strategy, Operational Engineering and Level 3 Support of Putnam’s physical, virtual hosts and virtualized applications within Microsoft Windows desktop infrastructure. Manager functions as Product Owner for the full Windows lifecycle, engaging key stakeholders, fostering a productive workflow in functional hand-off of day to day support responsibilities to a peer Desktop Operations team including software distribution and end user support. This position will be a mix of managerial and hands-on engineering of various Windows physical and virtual desktops.
Functional responsibilities include application administration for MS SCCM, GPO, OS, Citrix, and Utility layer applications (Antivirus/Malware, Endpoint Protection, Application Trust, Browser, MSO / O365, etc.). Managerial responsibilities for Windows desktop architecture include: consulting, design & engineering, standards, planning, budget planning, vendor management, situation management and escalation, operational project management, performance assessment, partnering with infrastructure peer teams in planning and delivery as well as key stakeholders in the Putnam application development and business communities.
This position requires applicable finance industry experience and knowledge, strong analytical, communication skills and leadership skills. The ability to multi-task in an extremely fast paced environment, organization, project management (Agile/Kanban+) and budgeting skills are also required. A Bachelor’s degree is required (computer science or equivalent preferred) and a minimum of 10 years of prior related experience is required. The ideal candidate will also have a proven ability to lead teams in delivering state of the art support and initiatives utilizing formal project management tools and techniques. Possess the ability to plan, organize, and develop strategic business objectives/projects in line with goals and needs. Develop strategic relationships with clients by ensuring that requirements and expectations are satisfied with quality products and services. Manage support of assigned projects/applications by defining, prioritizing, allocating and monitoring resources (staff, budget). Partner with engineers, project managers and staff to develop an environment of productivity, client orientation, and growth.
Requires On-Call access for escalation and tier 3 support 7x24. This position will require work on weekends and evenings as necessary to maintain 7 day/24 hour virtual desktop computing environment.
- Develop and communicate goals/initiatives and expectations for the team to achieve business results. Develop and implement plans to achieve business objectives and quality standards. Determine and allocate resource needs to complete projects and provide support. Review and monitor projects, resources, staffing and budget to ensure proper and effective utilization of company resources. Leverage employee’s skills against business needs.
- Develop, monitor, and identify opportunities to improve process, procedures and controls to enhance project and deliverables. Develop goals and action plans for implementation of recommended projects. Provide continuous and consistent management reporting on the status of issues, actions, and resolutions.
- Maintain an advanced level of knowledge of required technical skills and Putnam’s products, services, policies and procedures. Be current with emerging industry architectures and service and translate to forward looking strategy, architecture and standards for desktop services delivery. Interact with various areas within the organization to develop and support internal customer and supplier relationships.
- Partner with Project Managers/Team Leaders to manage performance and development of staff. Provide leadership and coaching while establishing a positive rapport with employees. Ensure that developmental planning and implementation is occurring for staff. Interviews, hires, motivates and coaches staff to promote a diverse, professional, and enthusiastic environment.
- Effectively communicate business updates and issues to the staff in regular staff meetings and promote two-way communication.
- Assist in the strategic business planning and goal setting for the division. Partner with senior management to leverage available resources and ensure compliance with budget commitments.
At Putnam we are committed to a diverse workforce and take positive steps to ensure equal opportunity in our recruitment process. We also undertake to hire, develop and retain the most talented individuals by valuing the varied skills that you bring.