Cloud Engineer at Putnam
This position is primarily responsible for designing complex IT infrastructure systems and technologies with a key emphasis on virtualization and software defined stacks. Systems are generally enterprise level typically dealing with new and/or complex technologies. Systems are designed, engineered and supported within defined architectures. This position is also responsible for technology evaluations and implementations.
The individual will also contribute to: Overall system architecture including platforms, detailed technical design, system integration, system performance, system security, system operations, and production migration. In addition, the individual will be a consulting resource to the technical, client services and business teams. This individual will function as Sr. technical lead to specialists and technical experts within Enterprise Services. The individual will possess and apply high-level application and systems knowledge in multiple business and technical areas to perform the above tasks. The ability to multi-task in an extremely fast paced environment is mandatory. During parts of the system life cycle, weekend and nighttime work may be required. In addition, on call tier III production support will be required as per rotation schedules.
- Technical design, management, implementation and support of IT infrastructure systems including physical server environment and highly virtualized environment. Establish contact with key users in the business units for both ad hoc and regular meetings to identify projects, issues, technology trends and budgeting. Define, manage and complete (as applicable) all milestones related to customer driven, technology related and/or process oriented projects.
- Participate in technology evaluation teams, standard committees, strategy committees and/or reengineering teams, R&D, strategy-definition and continuous process improvement/reengineering activities related to applicable technologies. Act as project lead around further software defined services and offerings.
- Understand change management policies, and be able to effectively draft change management technical procedures in a clear and concise manner. Completion of such activities within business approved change windows.
- Render hands-on support and problem resolution for second/third level issues around Cisco UCS, VMware, EMC storage products, Windows/Unix related issues.
- Monitor department workflow, operating practices and development standards to ensure compliance with department standards, procedures, controls and business requirements. Identify, document and maintain operational procedures.
- Recognize and resolve all business issues and identify impact on other business units within Putnam. Assess urgency of issues and facilitate follow-up and resolution accordingly. Provide continuous and consistent management reporting on the status of open issues, actions and resolutions. Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external customers and suppliers. Candidate must have the ability to gain understanding of client’s needs, expectations, and issues.
- Continue driving cloud adoption of either on prem or off prem solutions. Establish guidelines and blueprints surrounding public cloud instances.
- Develop and maintain capacity planning and forecasting metrics for overall cloud environment across all virtualized stacks.
- Develop, enhance, and maintain orchestration and automation of cloud enablement tools.
- Evangelize configuration management through various toolsets and continue expanding code deployment and opportunities.
- Advanced knowledge of VMware – Day to day operational management and architecting of key solutions
- Experience with orchestration tools (VMware vRA, CA Automation Suite for Cloud)
- Experience with storage provisioning (EMC VMAX, XIO, Isilon, Centera)
- Knowledge of zoning with FC Switches (Cisco, Brocade)
- Understanding of SAN and NAS principles and key concepts
- Exposure to additional layers of software virtualization (Network, Storage, Compute, Datacenter)
- Moderate to Advance knowledge of Red Hat Linux
- Moderate to Advance knowledge of MS Windows
- Familiarity with cloud based platforms (AWS, Rackspace, OpenStack, Azure)
- Prior deployment and management of public cloud instances a plus
- Systems integration with proprietary, customized, and purchased host, and cloud based applications
- Experience with Configuration Management tools (puppet, chef, salt, cfengine)
- Experience with Software version control (git, svn)
- Understanding of DevOps concepts
- Must display a strong affinity for automating technical solutions
- Extensive knowledge of a scripting language (perl, python, ruby, etc)
- Experience with security technologies and practices.
- Systems Architecture, Engineering and implementation – Identifying and delivering on business and operational requirements.
- Technical Support – Resolving complex issues and implementation of changes and enhancements to the overall systems and processes identified above
- Familiarity with managing Cisco UCS blade environment
This position also requires strong interpersonal skills and a professional approach to systems architecture, systems integration, and design. 5+ years of relevant experience is required.
At Putnam we are committed to a diverse workforce and take positive steps to ensure equal opportunity in our recruitment process. We also undertake to hire, develop and retain the most talented individuals by valuing the varied skills that you bring.