IT Audit Lead at Putnam
POSITION TITLE: IT Audit Lead
DIVISION: Corporate Finance
REPORTS TO: Head of Internal Audit
Reporting to the Head of Internal Audit, the IT Audit Lead will have responsibility for the planning, execution and ongoing development of Putnam’s technology focused internal audit program. Putnam Internal Audit is a small, agile group of diverse professionals dedicated to providing reasonable assurance that the significant risks to Putnam’s business objectives are understood and controlled. We work and operate across Putnam. The IT Audit Lead will interact with management across the firm through the provision of consulting and audit services. The Lead will facilitate the annual risk assessment process, help build the audit plan, plan and conduct audit fieldwork, and prioritize and communicate findings and recommendations that add value to Putnam. A minimum of six years of IT audit experience in either public accounting or internal audit would be beneficial; candidates with 10 or more years of broad experience in implementing and controlling various aspects of a technology environment will also be actively considered in lieu of direct audit experience. Investment management experience is considered a plus. Advanced degrees or professional designations such as CISA or CPA are desirable.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Conduct Annual Risk Assessment and Develop Annual Audit Plan
The Lead will facilitate the IT focused aspects of the annual risk assessment process and assist the Head of Internal Audit in developing the group’s annual audit.
Maintain Relationships with Stakeholders Firm-wide.
The Lead will be responsible for fostering relationships with Putnam Management across the firm. The IT Lead will work closely with the management of Putnam’s Digital Technology organization to stay apprised of the latest external and internal developments, consult on new and ongoing initiatives and look for methods to continually improve the effectiveness of our audit process.
Plan and Execute Technology Focused Audits and Consulting Engagements.
The Lead will plan the audit approach for each distinct audit or consulting engagement and execute (or oversee the execution of) necessary procedures. Planning the approach includes balancing the scope of work, business risk associated, and staffing budget. Execution will include such activities as: interviewing stakeholders, researching technology and regulatory standards and trends, managing the request of audit evidence, analyzing and auditing the evidence received, building and executing data analytics programs to automate the identification of potential issues and writing the audit report.
Develop Audit Report and Corresponding Support
Responsible for developing the audit report and corresponding workpapers in accordance with departmental requirements. Develop suggestions for improving internal controls and operations based on audit findings. Organize and reference work papers for peer review. Identify control weaknesses, assess the financial impact of the weakness, formulate useful recommendations to Management, and vet such findings and recommendations with Management.
Oversee Audit Staff
Assist in allocating work among staff and ensure that all staff members are properly trained and prepared in the respective areas prior to fieldwork. Review findings documented by audit staff. Provide feedback to Head of Internal Audit regarding Auditor performance.
Develop Self and Others in Pursuit of Continuous Improvement
Build a comprehensive understanding of the entity’s operations, including major systems, specific policies and procedures. Learn and form a point of view on methods for applying or improving upon industry standards at Putnam. Actively pursue continuing professional education in line with the department's needs and personal career development goals.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
· Bachelor’s Degree required.
MINIMUM PRIOR RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE TYPICALLY REQUIRED:
· 8+ years preferred
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Exceptional analytical, problem solving, organizational, and project management skills. Ability to identify complex business issues and recommend appropriate solutions.
· Knowledge of the common technology risks and the corresponding control principles utilized to mitigate those risks
· Interpersonal skills are essential. The ability to communicate confidently, clearly and effectively, orally and written, is key to successful performance as the IT Audit Lead. The individual should possess enthusiasm, initiative, sound business judgment, and tact.
· The ability to work effectively with management and staff members in a team environment.
· Desire and ability to coach audit staff and others
· Knowledge of the key processes and systems utilized within the investment management industry
· Proficient in using standard software, such as Word, Excel, and Outlook to perform and document work. Experience with governance risk and compliance software or Team-Mate a plus
· Very limited travel expected
AVAILABLE SKILLS SET TRAINING:
· Putnam Professional Skills Courses
· Various Learning & Development Programs
· Digital Technology Department Training
· Putnam Professional Skills Courses
At Putnam we are committed to a diverse workforce and take positive steps to ensure equal opportunity in our recruitment process. We also undertake to hire, develop and retain the most talented individuals by valuing the varied skills that you bring.