Portfolio Tax Accountant at Putnam
The Portfolio Tax Accountant is responsible for preparing excel spreadsheets of tax information (fye/excise tax provisions, interim tax monitors, tax returns, distribution calculations, etc.) from fund accounting reports. The majority of time is spent utilizing excel and data extracts to categorize and calculate book-tax adjustments related to transactions and holdings in the mutual funds. Candidate will interact with internal departments and external audit firms. Requires strong analytical skills and the ability to work in a deadline-driven environment. Position offers excellent opportunity to learn and develop expertise in mutual fund taxation, a field in which there is a significant shortage of experienced and qualified personnel.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Determine mutual fund book-tax differences on investments such as equities, bonds, futures, options, forwards, swaps, foreign securities, etc. in order to compute the funds' investment company taxable income.
- Reconcile fund accounting trial balances, dividend/interest reports, realized gain/loss reports, holdings, etc.
- Prepare income and excise tax provisions, along with supporting schedules and worksheets.
- Prepare all necessary tax filings; e.g. federal and state income and excise tax returns.
- Prepare fiscal-year-to-date income distribution monitors.
- Calculate multi-class dividend rates on monthly/quarterly distributing funds.
- Prepare income projections and dividend estimates, as required.
- Analyze dividend income to determine portion qualifying for reduced tax rates.
- Review distribution components to compute amounts subject to possible withholding.
- Reconcile differences between internal tax automation system and accounting reports.
Critical Skills and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Business or Finance strongly preferred
- Intermediate/Advanced proficiency with Excel is required along with the Microsoft Office suite
- Prior mutual fund accounting, retail or institutional accounting experience is preferred, not required
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to learn quickly; self-motivated and thrives on challenging & complex work
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail, time management, and multi-tasking abilities
At Putnam we are committed to a diverse workforce and take positive steps to ensure equal opportunity in our recruitment process. We also undertake to hire, develop and retain the most talented individuals by valuing the varied skills that you bring.